NCAA Equestrians getting paid

In Loving Memory of Mason Phelps Jr
horselover

NCAA Equestrians getting paid

Post by horselover »

I wonder how this will work with college athletes getting paid. Wonder if it will happen in equestrian sports too.
Lovely2468

Re: NCAA Equestrians getting paid

Post by Lovely2468 »

Obviously they will not get paid as much as athletes on more popular sports (if at all). NIL money has a lot to do with donors and not too many of the big donors of these schools care about the equestrian sport. The most common way of NIL on equestrian teams is from sponsorships from equestrian brands where they get free merchandise/product from the brand. The difference is other athletes are getting paid actually money to promote a brand or just to be at that school; and equestrians get free merchandise for promoting a brand. No one will get rich for being a collegiate equestrian; and they typically do not need the money.
horselover

Post by horselover »

It is a way to give amateurs some money. I am sure Hope Glynn would be happy for her daughter to get some money. It's a legitimate way to pay your trainer's daughter that is technically an amateur.
Sosweet

Post by Sosweet »

I don’t see any exception in the USEF rules for amateurs accepting money from the NCAA.
Baysfordays

Post by Baysfordays »

horselover wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:03 pm It is a way to give amateurs some money. I am sure Hope Glynn would be happy for her daughter to get some money. It's a legitimate way to pay your trainer's daughter that is technically an amateur.
I don’t think you quite grasp how it all works. No one is just giving their money to hope’s daughter (or any college rider). If anything, she has sponsors that send her free merchandise.